StraceNT (pronounced S-Trace-NT) is a System Call Tracer for Windows. It provides similar functionality as strace provides on Linux. It can trace all the calls made by a process to the imported functions from other DLLs. StraceNT can be very useful in debugging and analyzing the internal working of a program. It records function names, their arguments and their return value.
StraceNT uses IAT patching technique to trace function calls, which is quite reliable and very efficient way for tracing. StraceNT can handle functions with different calling conventions including __fastcall and __stdcall.
StraceNT also supports filtering based on DLL name and function name and gives you a lot of control on which calls to trace and helps you to easily isolate a problem.
- A very fast and efficient system call tracing program
- Supports tracing function calls with different calling conventions
- Excellent filtering support to isolate a problem easily
- Similar in functionality to strace on Linux
- Multithreaded application supported
- Records OutputDebugString output of the target process
- NT4 with Service Pack 6
- Windows 2000
- Window XP
- Windows 2003
- Windows XP 64-bit (for 32 bit process running inside wow64)
- Windows 2003 64-bit (for 32 bit process running inside wow64)
- Windows 95, 98 and ME
- Windows NT 3.51
- Not tested on Windows NT 4.0 without service pack
Redistribution and use of this software is permitted provided
that the following conditions are met:
1. Redistributions must reproduce the above copyright notice,
Initial developer, this list of conditions and the following
disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials
provided with the distribution.
2. Neither the name "www.intellectualheaven.com" nor the names of
its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products
derived from this software without specific prior written
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
"AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS
FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING,
BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS
OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED
AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY
WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE
POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.